Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
“Sensitive people usually love deeply and hate deeply. They don't know any other way to live than by extremes because their emotional thermostat is broken.”
― Shannon L. Alder
Have you ever been madly in love with someone? Probably yes then you must definitely know what being a obsessive is all about, you just cannot stop thinking about that person but does that actually means that you have a disorder? Well maybe not but this can really help you in understanding about OCD.
What is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychological disorder in which time people have unwanted thoughts, ideas, feelings that make them obsessed to make them feel anxious and then makes them do something repetitively to overcome that anxiety. It causes obsession and compulsions and causes a situation of stress and depression in peoples. Even if you want to overcome stress and depression it becomes more depressive condition for you because you feel helpless and out of control for not being able to control your own thoughts and actions. It also increases your risk of developing fears and phobias.
- Fear of being contaminated from dusts and other things
- Fear of losing control
- Fear of harming others and also yourself
- Violent and intrusive sexually explicit thoughts and images
- Fear of losing thing which is important for you
- Excessive focus on moral ideas
- Want things in order and symmetry
- Become superstitions
- Make sure that your love ones are save
- Check locks, switches etc again and again
- Do senseless things such as counting, repeating things
- Spending most of the time in washing and cleaning hands and other things
- Praying excessively
- Store empty boxes such as food boxes
- Fear of being contaminated by touching something
Causes of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
The most common causes of this type of psychological disorder include:
- One of the main causes is a family history of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- It also results due to biological changes
- It also caused by the learning behavior from others in childhood
Risk Factors due to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Here have discussed the most common risk factors which become a cause of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder which include:
- If you have a family ancestry of this disorder.
- Due to upsetting occasions throughout your life, for example, misfortune in business or demise of affection ones and so forth.
- Due to some other mental issue.
Complications to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
You get some thoughts about something and they make you act in a certain repetitive way is obsessive compulsive disorder but is it so simple? The disease might seem to be very simple but the complications that it causes and the consequences of such it can be very distressing. Some of the complications that this disorder breeds in your life are mentioned below:
- Spending excessive time in rituals
- Health issues
- Unhappy life
- Difficulty in studies and work
- Problems in relationships
- Suicidal thoughts
Diagnosis for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Your doctor and psychologists may diagnose your problem by evaluating your symptoms and by asking you about your family history and here are some common diagnosis methods and techniques used by the psychiatrists:
- Psychological evaluation
- Diagnostic criteria for OCD
- Enlisting the symptoms
Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Doctors can treat this type of disorder by the help of certain effective methodologies and techniques which we discussed here:
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)